Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Fedora 7

I installed Fedora 7 a few days a go and I have been pretty impressed so far. The last time I tried fedora I wasn't all that impressed it just seemed a little rough around the edges but I may have been to quick to judge it before I really got to use it. I tried Fedora core 5 the last time around and I had a few driver problems so the system ran unbearably slow. I have yet to test it with my nvidea card that kills every distro that it touches but I have a feeling it probably won't work, maybe with the new kernel (2.6.23) this will be fixed ( I know I could probably get it to work if I put in a few hours of work but I don't care enough). While I'm on the topic of graphics I should mention that Fedora is 1 of 2 distros that has ever set my resolution to 1280 X 1024 (the other is suse).
As a Debian user in the past I have never really liked rpm but Fedora does it really well. yum is really easy to use for the command line and works very much like apt-get except that with yum I can actually search for packages! woho I like that feature why doesn't apt-get let my search for packages? the only problem I have with yum is that it seems to have a pretty sparse library (compared to Debian at lest). I really like vlc and it isn't available in the standard repository. I'm sure that I can add a repository so that I can get vlc but it would be nice if it were already there.

I just got my Solaris dvds in the mail so I will probably install that in place of fedora in a days. If I feel like it I will write something up about whether Solaris is crappy or not. I'm looking for the place on sun's site where you can get free Solaris dvds sent to you but I can't find it.

Pros: good package management, gread installer (anaconda), up to date software
cons: smaller than I would like repositories, why is visudo neither installed nor in the repositories? I like using sudo and I would like to use the program made to configure it so that I can use it (maybe there is some emacen that is meant to do the job of visudo installed), SElinux can be a pain but that isn't Fedora's fault

No comments:

site statistics